January 28, 2008

My First Shawl

I'm pretty excited about my current project. I wasn't even planning on making this shawl but over the weekend I took a trip to Knit This, Purl That! for some needles...haa, haa. I'm funny, did I really think I was going to get out of there with just a one little pair of needles....NOT! and did I mention how much I HEART this store. The people are super nice and I love their yarns. The store is well organized and just has a nice warm welcoming feel to it. Anyway, I went in to get needles so I can start my French Bag and walked out with a whole new project and more yarn. I also wanted to get yarn to make a ruffle scarf neck warmer thingy from my new One-Skein Wonders book. I did manage to find some pretty yarn and named after me :o) It's Claudia's Hand Painted Yarn in color Argyle Socks.

It'll be my first time knitting on such small yarn but I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. The yarn is nice and soft and I really like the color.


The whole time I was there I was admiring the owners shawl, it was super cute but of course the whole time I was there I kept thinking to myself that there was NO WAY I could ever make a shawl. It was probably super complicated and would take me forever and 100 years to make a shawl. We were chatting about something else while I was paying and then I just decided to ask her about the shawl. She said it was super easy and of course she carried the yarn. She said she was out of the pattern but she could tell me how to make it. I basically just needed to cast on a stitch and increase one stitch every single row until I got to 175. WOW, I can totally handle that. I thanked her and left and then about a few steps into the parking lot I turned around, came back inside and went straight for the yarn to make the shawl :o( aahhhhh! MUST NOT BUY MORE YARN! I did :o) :o(

The shawl is made with Berroco Suede. I picked a green and pink, got the needles and then really headed out the door. When I got home I looked online and found that the pattern, Crystal Cove Shawl, was actually free so I downloaded it and started my shawl :o) I am about 50% and it's turning out really nice. I can't wait to finish it. YIPEE another new project for me. I'm really enjoying moving on to new things.

Of course since I started working on this cause I was so excited I haven't done much on my scarf but I'll pick that back up this weekend, maybe that's what I'll work on while watching Super Bowl :o)

No comments: